
Some interesting things I've seen in Korea since I've been here. Some of you may have heard some of these already, but I thought I'd put some in a blog since I don't really have that many new things to tell you!!
-Korens horque (sp?) all the time. I'll hear it from my room late at night and early in the morning and see it happen always in the street. It's so loud! Men and women both do it.
-They have work out machines outside in the local parks
-Boyfriends and girlfriends will sometimes dress alike when they are together (it's so funny! like maybe both wear blue jeans that fit them, but wear the same hoodies, I've seen it many times! In this pic I caught the back of a couple...hopefully you can see it!)

-Koreans don't sweat and stink. Well, I think they sweat, but they really don't stink when they do. Their feet still stink though. They also don't sell deodorant here except in speciality markets anyways. They do, however, often smell like fish! haha
-Movies here are in English with Korean subtitles! YEAH!
-They love karaoke here. And so do I, so basically we're a perfect match for the time-being. They call it Nori-bang or 'singing room.' You rent out small rooms here by the hour with couches and tables and a huge tv with karaoke. You can also buy food and drinks! It's so fun.

-You can ask for a discount just about anywhere, and they usually give it to you ('gaga chu sayo')at the markets anyway
-I had my final Korean lesson this past weekend, it was kinda sad. We are still going out this weekend for lunch together. I feel like there's so much more to learn, but I'm happy with just knowing a bit at least
-The schools are heated by room but the main hallways have no heat whatsoever!! IT's CRAZY! So cold out there I try never to leave my office or classroom - which thankfully are connected
-In case you haven't heard, I'm going to Thailand and Vietnam for a 2 week vacation at the end of JAnuary/beginning of February. I'm really looking forward to the break as I've been busy preparing and planning for winter camps which I'll run by myself for the whole month of January. Should be interesting!
I can't believe all the snow reports from home!!! I'm so jealous...snowball fights, forts, snowmen, facewashes, sledding on Laurier hill or any hill for that matter!! There is no snow here at all. No fun.
-this Sunday we went for a buffet brunch at a restaurant with true Canadian taste! There was a definite Alberta influence with Flames and Oilers hockey gear and a Mountie cut out....I was in heaven enjoying hash browns, scrabbled eggs, sausage, french toast. I was going to take a picture but I ate so fast no one could have snapped a picture of me and the delicious food.
I did get one of me and the mountie though, hence the above picture. :)
Enjoy the snow day tomorrow if it keeps coming down overnight!!
2 comments:
Hi Karen. Always great to read your blogs. I like your Christmas tree and decorations. May God bless you at Christmas time...
I have to tell you, when John and I were first married, I asked Oma to knit us matching sweaters! We wore them, together, in public once. Ha ha.
Love, Aunt Diane
PS re the 'h' word...I'd give you hotel, But, how about Heineken??:-)
Always the proud Canadian!!
Well I bet you have just found your new favourite restaurant! I'm sure everyone was shocked to see how much you can eat...when given "good" food.
Yes Em had ANOTHER snow day Monday.
I hope you get some snow in Korea for Christmas!!
Love you, Mom & Dad
Post a Comment